S-Corporation EIN/Tax ID

Once you have established a Corporation, you will need to obtain a Federal Tax Identification Number (Tax ID), also known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN); this includes both C Corporations and S Corporations. A Corporation Tax ID Number not only identifies your business with the Internal Revenue Service, but also, is used to create your company's credit file. Business owners can obtain multiple Federal Tax ID Numbers (EIN) if you own multiple companies.

Once a Corporation obtains its EIN, it is the Corporation's permanent Tax ID Number and can be used immediately for things such as opening a bank account, registering with Dun and Bradstreet, applying for credit and business licenses. However, the Tax ID Number will take up to two weeks before the EIN becomes part of the IRS' permanent records allowing for filling returns.